Partner completed a Document and Cost Review along with 18 Construction Progress Monitoring reports on the historic Elliott Building located on the northwest corner of Grand River Avenue and Woodward Avenue. Built in 1897 where Detroit’s first Mayor, General John R. Williams lived, the six-story building was designed with distinctive red brick and red terra cotta at the cost of approx. $80,000.00.
During the late 1910’s, The S.S. Kresge’s operated in the Elliott Building as a “25 cent to $1” green front store. This Kresge location carried higher-priced merchandise compared to Kresge Store #1 (a “5 and 10 cent” store located at 1201 Woodward Avenue), making this building the more well-known Kmart store #2.
Then in 1939 after a modernization, the store changed to a “5 cent to $1” store, and in 1951, a “root beer department” was installed. The S.S. Kresge’s located in the Elliott Building closed on December 31, 1959 after an inability to negotiate a new lease.
Due to neglect from tenants abandoning the building in the 1990’s, all the floors were damaged which required a complete interior renovation and re-roofing.
The historic adaptive reuse project had a budget of over $8,000,000 and a timeline of 15 months. Partner was retained to review available construction budgets, drawings, specifications and correspondence to ensure the project was completed on time and on budget throughout the life cycle of construction.
The Elliott Building is now a 23-unit, one & two bedroom luxury apartment building, that also includes bi-level penthouse units with amazing views of Woodward Avenue and the Shinola Hotel, and is a key representation of the continued revitalization of the downtown area.