Gary Cohn is Partner Engineering and Science, Inc.’s Director of Institutional A&E Services. With almost 40 years of experience in the commercial real estate industry, Gary brings a wealth of experience and expertise to all projects. An experienced executive, Gary has a demonstrated history of working successfully in the design and construction industry. He is a strong technical professional with extensive experience in owners representation, capital planning, building assessment, and property resilience.
Cohn has advised on high profile projects throughout the country, such as:
- The Forum, Los Angeles, CA – Cohn led the team performing the detailed evaluation of the former home of the Los Angeles Lakers for the Madison Square Garden corporation prior to their purchase and conversion of the facility into the largest all music venue in the United States. The evaluation included cataloguing over $1 mil in memorabilia.
- Century Park, CA – a multi-million square foot development. Cohn was hired to perform an acquisition property condition assessment.
- PetSmart Headquarters, Phoenix, AZ – Cohn served as owner representative during development.
- The Queen Mary, Long Beach, CA – Served as architect of record for disability upgrades and repair work on the only classic ocean liner still in use and occupied as a hotel in the United States.
- Technical College System of Georgia, statewide, GA – Cohn organized and led the Facility Condition Assessments of 500+ buildings and 12 million square feet of floor area on an extremely tight and inflexible time schedule.
- Capitol Records building, Hollywood, CA – Performed a review of the historic building geared towards energy conservation and code compliance upgrades needed to keep the facility functional and efficiently operating.
- LAX Control Tower, Los Angeles, CA – Led a condition assessment of the historic tower to assist Los Angeles World Airport (LAWA) in developing long term consolidation plans for staff relocation.
- Post-earthquake evaluations, 1989 Loma Prieta, 1994 Northridge, and 2001 Nisqually earthquakes – Cohn performed emergency building evaluations to assist clients in restoring structures to re-occupancy and normal operation.
As a design and building enthusiast, Cohn is a frequent author on a wide range of topics.
What gets Gary up in the morning?
“I’m fascinated by the way buildings are constructed, and then later the way they fall apart, and I love to talk about the connection between the two. Decisions made in the design and construction of a building can lead to a longer, or shorter, life of a building.”